Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spell Bound

Title: Spell Bound

Author: Rachel Hawkins

Rating: 3  3/4 stars

Summary: Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?

Review: I love the Hex Hall series. I was so excited to read the third (and final) book that I actually pre-ordered it and got it the day it came out. When it arrived, I did my little happy dance and immediately started reading. I might have given this book three stars, but my mind was clouded with  oh-my-god-it's-finally-here! euphoria. Here's the thing: the story felt rushed. It seemed as if Hawkins has this whole thing planned out, then had to squish it into a one book. She can write a fourth; I certaintly wouldn't mind. :) At the end I was just "That's it?????" I loved the humor, the characters, and the originality of the whole series. Also, I can't stand love triangles. I was okay with the Sophie/Archer/Cal thing because I assumed Hawkins would deal with the while Archer the boyfriend and Cal the fiance mess later. And I guess she kind of did, but I didn't like the way she did it. I didn't like the characters' reactions, either: So.... That happened. Oh well! *Insert funny joke here*. I can't tell you what happened becuase it's something that you really need to read the book to learn. While the this particular book wasn't super amazing, the series over all was and now it's over so I'm just going to wallow in my Hex Hall-less misery.    :(

No comments:

Post a Comment