Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Diviners

Title: The Diviners

Author: Libba Bray

Rating: 3   3/4 stars

Summary: Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."
When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.


Review: I'm a big fan of Libba Bray's books, but this one fell short of my expectations. Set in the 1920's, it's historical fiction with a paranormal twist. I don't understand how being sent from a small town to New York City would be a punishment for someone constantly getting into trouble. The book is in third person, but tells the story of not only Evie, but also Memphis and Theta. At first I found the story-switching annoying because I really wanted to read about Evie, but once I had discovered her story, I was ready to hear about he other characters. By that time, though, all the chapters were given to Evie. Libba Bray knows how to mix up romance. I assumed Evie was going to end up with the stereotypical love interest, but she doesn't. And when she does find someone, it's not: "I'll love you forever and ever," it's: "Maybe I love you, maybe I don't." The Diviners went on a little too long, but it was still an enjoyable read.




The Diviners will be published in September of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment