Sunday, May 27, 2012

Lirael

Title: Lirael

Author: Garth Nix

Rating: 5 stars

Summary: Lirael has never felt like a true daughter of the Clayr. Now, two years past the time when she should have received the Sight that is the Clayr's birthright, she feels alone, abandoned, unsure of who she is. Nevertheless, the fate of the Old Kingdom lies in her hands. With only her faithful companion, the Disreputable Dog, Lirael must undertake a desperate mission under the growing shadow of an ancient evil.

Review: I really wanted to continue with the story of Sabriel and Touchstone, but instead I was introduced to Lirael and Sameth, their story taking place fourteen years after the first installment of the Abhorsen Chronicles. At first I was annoyed at the absence of the two previous main characters, though as the book went on, I grew to enjoy these new characters better. Sameth reminds me of Shirley from the Icemark Chronicles; the baby of the family who feels inadequate and goes on a journey to save his kingdom. His older sister, Ellimere, is very similar to Cressida of the same series; they are the oldest, completely capable and can do no wrong, while their younger siblings are constantly making mistakes. This series has some seriously awesome animal sidekicks, the one in this book being the Disreputable Dog. After meeting Sanar and Ryelle in Sabriel, I wanted to learn more about the Clayr. I wish that the Great Library of the Clayr was real, because I would spend all my time there. At the beginning, the magic is more conventional (spells that make, break, seal, that sort of thing), though it gains necromancy as it goes on. I was actually surprised by the twist near the end. The next book is the last one, and continues right where this one left off. (We'll get to keep the same characers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment