Author: Gemma Halliday
Rating: 3 1/2 stars
Summary: Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool.
But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim.
Review: This book was astonishingly similar to Clarity, where Clare's cheating ex-boyfriend asks her to solve the mystery of a mudered girl, though each book has its own twist on the shared storyline. I found it hilarious that Josh, Hartley's now ex-boyfriend, cheated on her with the president of the Chastity Club because Hartley refused to put out. The best way to finish this review would be with a pro/con list, so here it is:
Things I liked
- Sam is a good friend who stood by Hartley no matter what. (You would be surprised at the number of characters who would abandon her.)
- Hartley wasn't immediately attracted to Chase.
- It was a humorous Nancy Drew-esque murder mystery novel.
- The most unexpected person ends up being the killer.
Things I didn't like
- Hartley ends up crushing on the resident Bad Boy. *Eye-roll/annoyed sigh combo*
- Hartley agreed to risk life and limb to clear her cheating ex-boyfriend's name.