Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Brief History of Montmaray

Title: A Brief History of Montmaray

Author: Michelle Cooper

Rating: 3  3/4 stars

Summary: “There’s a fine line between gossip and history, when one is talking about kings.”
Sophie Fitzosborne lives in a crumbling castle in the tiny island kingdom of Montmaray with her eccentric and impoverished royal family. When she receives a journal for her sixteenth birthday, Sophie decides to chronicle day-to-day life on the island. But this is 1936, and the news that trickles in from the mainland reveals a world on the brink of war. The politics of Europe seem far away from their remote island—until two German officers land a boat on Montmaray. And then suddenly politics become very personal indeed.


Review: I kept reading 'Montmaray' as 'Montramay,' and it wasn't until the end of the book that I got out of that habit. Except for Sophie announcing the fact that she has a crush, there is no romance. :)  I can't remember the last time I read a historical fiction book, but I saw the second book in the series in my school library and went on a hunt for the first. At the beginning I was a little disappointed; it was pretty boring. But it gradually picked up to the big escape scene at the end. (That's not a spoiler; everyone knew it was coming.) I am currently book-less in a library that has the sequel on its shelves, so be prepared for a review of that one!


No comments:

Post a Comment