Monday, April 16, 2012

Author Interview: Inara Scott

Inara Scott is the author of The Candidates and The Marked, books one and two in the Delcroix Academy series. (The Candidates review here)

Me: Where did you get the idea for The Candidates?
Inara Scott: I wanted to write a book where you couldn't tell who the good guys or the bad guys were.

Me: Did you want to be a writer growing up?
IS: Yes. but I didn't realize it was a profession so I thought about being a lawyer.

Me: How long did it take you to write The Candidates
IS:  About 4 to 6 months for the first draft.

Me: Did you plan before you started writing?
IS: Yes! I had very detailed outlines and color-coordinated story boards. I used different colored post it notes to symbolize whether there it was an action scene, romance scene, etc.

Me: Why did you turn the focus of the book to romance?
IS: I wanted the book to be about choices, and one of the choices was whether Dancia would choose Jack or Cam.

Me: How much of an impact did your editor have on your book?
IS: There was a very big difference between my first draft and the published book. My editor had me change the school into a boarding school, and added the character Catherine. I originally had the book end a few scenes earlier then the finished version, but my editor had me add several things.

Me: If The Candidates was turned into a movie, who would you want to play Dancia?
IS: Emma Watson.


No comments:

Post a Comment